Wednesday, December 17, 2008

State of the Economy






It's been an interesting month or so since I returned from Spain. I knew it would be a transition but didn't expect the oh so bumpy landing.

Watching the news over there, I got the sense that America was melting. I figured it was just the TV news over dramatizing the crisis as it usually does and that it would be OK when I got back. Uh, not so much.

I haven't started writing until now because I wanted some time to digest what I was seeing. Here's the best description of what that is:

Coming back to America at this extraordinary time, is like being a surprise guest on the Jerry Springer show where you find out that double-jointed Aunt Bertha is doing your boyfriend. 

As you try to get a grip on the situation and blurt out some disparaging words about your randy relative, mostly about how you can't believe that she's like that, she cries out "Oh no you din't!" grabs you by the hair and you get yanked into the chair throwing chaos on stage. 

That's pretty much how I see the current economic crisis in the country right now and how everyone is reacting to it. One big dirty brown snowball trying to sweep up everyone in it's path.

Even my usually "go with the flow" locals are in on it which was a slight disappointment. My customers are the first ones to ask about it. "How's business?" they say with an excited grimace offering you a launching pad for complaints. 

"It's slow right now but that's the time of year we're in." I say calmly.

"Really? I thought this was the busy time" they retort looking for a come to Jesus Oprah moment where we can all swim in the frothy stew of negativity and hold hands as the Apocalypse hits.

"No, January is when season really kicks in." I say bursting their economic bitching bubble. 

And there's this odd moment. A moment where they don't know what to say next since I have unarmed their opportunity to spew out soundbites from TV and what's been catfighted lately on the View.

"Oh." followed up by a lengthy silence. 
"Would you like more coffee?" I ask kindly.
"No, I'm alright." they say with a smile.

It started getting to me a bit. The negativity was palatable and I know things are crumbling but is anyone able to handle it? 

One bike ride later, I found them. The most stable people I have found since I got back. A couple of beach bums trying to feed a pelican a piece of bread. 

They were the happiest people I had found all month and they seemed genuinely content with the sun shining on them in the company of a few pesky feathered friends.

I watched as they tried to move it closer to the bird. He wasn't taking it and a couple little ones waited for the possibly rejected piece. We started talking and they told me if they had a fish like they usually did, he'd eat it.  I laugh and tell them that maybe they should mold the bread into the shape of a fish. He continued to push it cautiously closer to the bird until he flew off making a safe landing in the water.

We get to chatting and I find out that one of them is from Missouri and used to lay telephone wire for a living. He knows everything about copper cable and shivers when he mentions the weather this time of year back home. The other guy used to live in California but he just didn't like it - wasn't for him. He's back and really glad he's returned to Key West. They've been looking for their other winged companion but the pigeon that is missing a toe due to an unfortunate fishing wire accident is a no show today. 

"I hope he's ok." they both say. "It's not like him not to show up."

After a bit of chatting, I wave goodbye to my new friends and tell them I'll see them again soon. It was the nicest conversation I have had all month and I smiled knowing that there are some people out there who can live in the moment and see all the good things they do have.

I know it's rough for people. Corporations are a mirage of security. Something I discovered a couple of years ago when I decided to leave that life and it was a painful withdrawal. At times it was maddening to go against everything you had been taught to believe in, but in the end it brought me to a much better place and I wouldn't change the experience for anything.

I guess I know we're all going through that withdrawal in our own personal way right now but it's going to be all right. 

So for right now, baby steps. Let's put down the chair and slowly step away from Aunt Bertha.










1 comment:

  1. Penny, I'm with you. There are specific industries and people having trouble. The banks screwed themselves over. The American automotive companies screwed themselves over. And A-B allowed a buyout that will screw many of its employees over. Other than that there are a number of homeowners who SHOULDN'T be, because they can't afford to be. This has all been hyped up by the Bush administration (who wanted to bail out their buddies in finance-land) and the media. As a result many of us who should not be affected are and will be affected. It's all hype. Complete bullshit. Look around -- seriously -- most of the people in the US have NOT had a major economic change in their life lately. Who cares if your hose is worth less right now if you aren't intending to sell it? And, why is the government lending a helping hand to the businessmen who couldn't manage their businesses to begin with? Kick back, have a glass of wine, relax, think. It will become clear when we all calm down. Life IS good.

    At the risk of completely rambling on -- to all of those people who think this is the end of the world and the beginning of a serious depression -- ask these question: Do you have food? A cell phone? Do your kids have a cell phone? A video game system? A computer? Internet? TV? Plasma TV? Cable? How poor did you say you were? How bad did you say things are? Wow. So - you have food, clothing, shelter, TV, cell phones, cable TV...and you're poor?! Don't tell the poor people from other countries -- they'll storm our borders like never before.

    ReplyDelete