Saturday, September 25, 2010

Definite Upgrade.

As I was leaving Chicago today I had a cool thing happen. I had originally put $10 on a metrocard for the L train to get around the city when I first arrived and didn't use it all. As I headed up the escalator to O'Hare airport, I figured I'd give the unused card to someone who might need it.

I looked around and saw this woman waiting in line with an older woman most likely her mom, so I went up to her and asked her if she needed a fare for the train. Surprised and in shock she responded warily, "Uh, I don't speak English. I don't understand."

She said some quick phrase in Spanish and then it just kicked in. I told her I had a card for the train that still had money on it and asked her if she wanted it. All in Spanish. She looked more shocked than the first time I spoke to her in English which was cool. Her brother came up and she introduced him to me. I told her in Spanish that I still had $5 dollars on it and I didn't need it, and then asked her if she wanted it?

"A gift." her brother said in English smiling. "Yes." I smiled and replied in English.

She took it from me and thanked me. "Gracias!" As I walked off, I remembered Spain and it made me smile.

While checking in, it made me so happy that my Spanish kicked in without even thinking. As I began the familiar check in ritual, I looked at the screen expecting to see the same goofy mileage promotion I have been offered on each leg except it wasn't that goofy anymore.

"You are now eligible to upgrade to First Class. Would you like to?"

Hell, yes!
Things are definitely looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment