Friday, August 16, 2013

Excuse Me...

Last night a little boy not more than five years old stopped eating his dinner to turn around and ask me a question.

"Excuse me" he politely said to get my attention.

"Yes?" I said turning around.

"What does that mean?" he said pointing to a large painting of a woman on the wall wrapped in cloth unraveling.

"What do you think it means?" I asked loving where this was going.

"I think she's trapped and trying to escape. A ghost has captured her and she's trying to get free" he articulated perfectly.

"Hmmmmm. That's good. Could be..." I said delighted at the thoughtfulness of this little boy.

"Well, maybe its a woman who's actually a crocodile and she's trying to get back to her swamp that's right behind her?" 

His eyes widened and he took a moment. 

Then I began to ask him what he thought of some of the other paintings and loved listening to his explanations. 

"What do you think of that one?" I asked about a semi-random portrait we all refer to as Dr. Ballchin for reasons I think you can guess.

"That's just silly." he said like a seasoned art critic.

That kid made my night. 

Been loving the people I've gotten to chat with lately. Especially that kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment