Saturday, January 24, 2009

Networking






Been cooped up the last few days ever since a cold front moved through. I know, I know - suck it up it's so much colder up here, right? When you're used to being out and about to be shut in for a few days seems like an eternity. So I was pleasantly surprised at how warm it was today. Time for a ride out to New Town to exchange a tripod!

Key West is basically split up into three parts: Old Town, Mid-Town and New Town. Old Town is where I live and it consists of old historic houses, neighborhoods and lots of local businesses. New Town has all the big chain stores, some more newer neighborhoods and Mid-Town is a hybrid of the two.

I don't ride out to New Town too often but when I do I see the coolest things. It's reflection of what is out there which is a mishmash of stores, businesses and things that don't fit into Old Town. A kind of dumping ground if you will. Ironically, there are a lot of stores that are staples in cities across this country - Home Depot, KMart, Albertsons, Sears but they look completely foreign down here. Big anonymous faces. 

In Old Town lots of locals own businesses. I try them first before venturing out to New Town. If you have local support you're going to survive. They tried to open a Hooters on Duval Street way back when putting a call out to girls everywhere but here in the Keys cause they didn't think they were pretty enough. Well that sealed their fate and it went down in a short period of time. Maybe if they had filled it with Drag Queens it would have survived.

Point is that when I go to my local burrito place, I know the owners who are behind the counter making said burrito. They work their asses off pumping love into their business and it shows - I see it first hand. We chat and I ask them how they're doing as they do me. It's nice to have a face with that burrito. 

Ultimately anyone who puts themselves out there producing something of value for the community has it's support. Isn't that the way it should be? 

It's funny that our little network of people is considered strange and quirky to most people. Something I thought of when I went in to get a lightbulb today at Home Depot. I was in search of light and there was no warm and fuzzy feeling you get when you give your money over to someone you actually know and like. It had a very empty hollow feeling. Disposable.

The local network supports most in many different ways. When we go out to local restaurants and bars, you tip big. It's a simple reason really, that money cycles to all of us and comes around right when we need it. Locals also tell tourists their favorite places cause they always want to know where to go and those businesses benefit from the support. A patchwork of people and places. If you're dealing with a local, chances are you're gonna be alright. It's good to see a face you know come through your door.

So onto New Town and the Strip Mall graveyard. I look into one store to see it had moved out only to land in Old Town. Very cool and even more so when I see their slogan "A celebration of life". Maybe that's why they moved. After a quick exchange, I walk out to see this guy selling what I originally think are pinwheels. As I get closer I realize they're are planes made out of cans. "Recycled art!" he says with a proud smile.

I ask him what he uses to get such smooth edges on the cans when we start talking about business. By the way, I love that you can get into an economical discussion with a guy who makes a living through cans. 

He's been slow lately but he also sells down at Mallory Square which is good except for the fact he's not allowed to collect tips. Most times he moonlights as a babysitter when people leave their kids with him while they watch mesmerized by the plane making. Leaving your kids for a can with a can - nice...

Cool, thanks for the update dude. All in a days networking.

Been thinking about Facebook a lot lately. I joined hesitantly because I have never really gotten the whole allure of things like MySpace and Facebook. You really can't bag on something till you try it so I joined. It's some serious entertainment. I like to people watch and this is the online version.

It's so interesting to see what people think you need to know. "Jane is washing dishes." "Dan is wondering why people wear socks." "Mike is going to bed with a hangover."  I'm just waiting to see one of my friends proclaim they are going to take a dump. I fear that day is quickly approaching.

Facebook, like any application can be good or bad depending on how you use it. I've seen some friends find jobs or houses on it. I've also seen other friends completely addicted to it. To be honest, it is constant entertainment to see what people are going to put up next cause half the time I can't believe they actually do it. I've found that when I get into conversations with people about what is really happening in their lives instead of the inane updates, the conversation stops. It's a lot different than when you have an actual conversation.

Something I discuss with some co-workers after work last night at a local bar. There's just no substitute with talking to people face to face. Afterwards, they want to check out this local "swingers" bar but that's not the type of networking I'm looking for so I say goodbye and head on home.

I think that it's easier for some to be close with people at arms length but that's exactly what you get in return. It's kinda hollow. So ok, let me see what you want me to in bits and blips but at the end of the day nothing beats a face with that burrito or a man with a can.








No comments:

Post a Comment