Saturday, November 1, 2014

Beach Teaching



In efforts to get more comfortable with teaching yoga, my friend Abby happily agreed to meet me on the beach and be my student.

Both of us working Friday night shifts at our respective restaurants, we most certainly showed up a little late.

Rolled out a sheet to put our mats on and I turned on my iPhone for our class music. Nice mobile studio, Yo. I like it.

As much as I wanted to just give verbal cues today, I still found myself going through the motions with her. Was nice to practice near the water. I guess I couldn't help myself. I always want to move.

Surprisingly I'd never done yoga outside or outside a studio until today. The sun, trees and water just added to the effect. Bonus points for the sound of waves washing ashore during savasana

As we opened up into tree position under those glorious trees, I focused my vision out onto the calm waters and began to see a school of fish jumping. 
Then suddenly, a big barracuda appeared leaping completely out of the water.

Amazing and all I could say holding that pose was WHOA.

As I am a person who believes in spirit animals and looking up any symbolic meaning of animals that cross my path, I googled it and found this:

Transformation of the spirit, barracuda shows how to make your own way and follow your own path with strength and courage. Barracuda can teach a balance of action with inaction, rest and work, rest and play. He shows the power of actions and strength. Fish in general show how to swim the currents of life, use of intuition to navigate effectively, aids in attuning to the world of emotions, the un/subconscious and other-worlds, heightened senses including visions, dreams and related psychic abilities.

Right on. Courage has been my intention for practice the whole week.

Teaching outside continues and more books are on the way. Amazon Prime continues to be my friend.

Any animals cross your path lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment